Monday, February 9, 2009

Acts 20:24

What I’m getting ready to say may be a shock to some of you and not so much to others. I do not want to be a nurse. Yes you read that correctly. I do not want to spend my life being a nurse.
The reason I first fell in love with the medical field as a young child was because of the way my Dad portrayed it to me. Both my parents are in the medical field so I grew up around it. It was my Dad however who really made me fall in love with taking care of people. Whenever my brothers or I had any sort of injury or ailment, my dad would always say “step into my office,” which happened to be the bathroom. We would sit up on the sink and Dad would doctor us back to health. I grew up wanting to be a doctor, because I wanted to be like my Dad. When I got into high school I became aware of the liability that followed this career and therefore I chose to become a nurse. Nurses are the eyes and ears, and hands often for the doctor. They truly take care of the patients and are there with them twenty four seven. Nurses are there for every waking need. And that is what I wanted to be for people. I wanted to live out Mathew 25:37-40 which says: “Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?' And the king will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.”
I wanted to go into nursing because of my love for God’s people and my desire to share Christ with my patients. However, school began to be an idol in my life. I no longer was doing nursing for God but for myself. I wanted to prove something to myself and others. That I was smart and that I could successfully become an excellent nurse. I studied all the time, as many of you know this about me, and still do. I do nothing but study. I take my notes wherever I am, and I mean wherever I am. Thankfully the Lord has been very gracious to me by allowing me to succeed in school, and to also slowly reveal to me what his plan for me is.
As I continue to fall deeply in love with this Man named Jesus, a desire to give up everything and follow him grows stronger and stronger everyday. For me this would be giving up my nursing. Nursing was and unfortunately still is my life. No longer is this an obligation but a want. I WANT to give up nursing! I want nothing more than to live my life for Him each and every day sharing His love and grace with the people around this world. One of the many verses I now hold tight to is Acts 20:24 which states:
“However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.”
I have been considering this for some time now. As more time goes by, the more this desire grows stronger. So what exactly do I want to do with my life now? I don’t really know. I have prayed that the Lord opens and closes doors for me, and that he guides me where he wants me to go. I have so many options that I could choose including seminary, missions, or ministry in a church somewhere. The World literally is at my fingertips. As many of you know I am going to South Asia this summer for ten weeks to do some work for the kingdom. I chose this trip over an extremely competitive nursing externship that I was offered. Many nurses from all over our region would kill to have this externship, and I had it in my hands. But I gave it up so that I could share Christ’s love and forgiveness with people who had never heard His name before. Countless people think that I’m stupid for doing this; including all the students in my nursing class, my parents, and even some of my friends. But I know in my heart this is right, and this is pleasing to my Father. I will not regret this decision years down the road. So why did I share these things with you? Well, for a few reasons. One reason simply being to offer encouragement. I encourage each one of you to search your heart through scripture and in prayer. Where is the Lord leading you? Where is he asking you to go? What is he asking you to give up? Are you willing? And two, a request for prayer. Would you pray for me? Getting through school, is harder now than ever before, because that desire to succeed is just not there. I will finish, and I will try with all my heart because the Lord asks me to do this in Colossians 3:23 “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.” So pray that I will not give into my flesh and see school as a waste of time but rather an awesome ministry opportunity. And also pray for my future, meaning this summer, and beyond. Pray that the Lord continues to grace me with patience. Patience for funds for my trip this summer, patience to wait on him to reveal to me where he wants me to go next, and even patience in relationships. I don’t want a boyfriend to just have someone there or even to receive love from, because I get all these things and more from my heavenly Father times gazillion And his love and presence is all I want and need. However, I would love for the Lord to provide a partner more so for me. Someone who will be my partner in Crime per say. Crime stoppers for Christ I will call us. I want a relationship that is beneficial to the kingdom, so that my ministry is strengthened by having this partner, not hindered. And plus depending on where the Lord takes me, it might be safer that I have someone there with me. Lastly I thank you for your friendship and prayers.
“I open my mouth and pant, longing for your commands.” Psalm 119:131

1 comment:

  1. Wow, rachael. that is awesome.
    my one thought is.. you have such a knowledge in nursing that you can use anywhere in the world. That could be a great tool.

    and not only knowledge, but wisdom that you can use to discern what and where the Lord is calling you to.

    ReplyDelete