Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Body

Recently the Lord really has revealed to me just how important the body of Christ truly is. It is so important to surround yourself with Christian friends who can encourage you down that narrow path; friends that will not just tell you how they feel or what they think you should do, but life-partners who will tell you what the Lord says you should do, what the Word says.
I believe the body of Christ is one way the Lord protects us, comforts us, and speaks to us. Many times in my own life, the Lord has used other people to help me grow and to comfort me. Sadly a lot of people who claim to be Christians don't feel like they need to attend church. I believe that those individuals are shorting themselves from something wonderful by not taking advantage of that fellowship; that opportunity to be encouraged and to encourage others; to share life's struggles, and happy moments; to have another hand to help around the house; another set of lips to be praying for you; and simply sometimes just a set of ears to listen and sit with you.
As I began, I recently have been so blessed with this fellowship. Ever since I came to college three and a half years ago, I have been praying for a good group of Christian girl friends. I came to college in the middle of a very serious relationship and didn't really make the time to develop these relationships with girls. I always talked with my boyfriend about everything; school, food, homework, Christ, everything. I realized that it was becoming dangerous when I began to rely on him in an unhealthy way. I started to become obsessive with him. He realized this and he too began to pray for this group of close friends for me.
That relationship has ended but I have been blessed with this group of friends. And I would choose them over a boyfriend any day. God is just so amazing. I truly fall in love with him more and more everyday. I feel like the bride of Christ. He is my Everything. My Fulfillment, my Needs, my Wants, my Satisfaction, my Peace, my Joy, my Comfort, my Salvation, my Guidance, my Rock, my Provider, my Sustainer, my Hope, my Patience, my Love, my Light, my Shepard, my Protector, I could go on. What a difference these girls have made in my life. Daily I am reminded of Christ's goodness through their words, actions, and hearts. They are more to me than they realize.
And now when I see others who don't have this tight group of same sex friends as I once did not, I hurt for them. I know where they are. They, as I once did not, don't realize how much they are missing. They believe that having a bf or gf will satisfy them and that this is all they need. Oh how wrong they are! One day when they are married they will realize it's not as fulfilling as they always thought it would be, but matter of fact rather lonely at times. And in these times they are going to wish they had made time for friends. Never give up friends and take advantage of the gift of fellowship.

"A friend loves at all times..." Proverbs 17:17

No comments:

Post a Comment